Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Some good Malaysian Food right here. Right now!

Beef samosas. They are bite sized finger food as snacks or starters. Everyone loves them because it's savouricious. I bought these from the Pasar Ramadhan in Bayan Baru, Penang recently. What is different about it is the stuffing. Different from the usual potato and curry flavour, this one has one chunk of meat which has been cooked in a tasty sauce, before being wrapped in cute triangles and deep fried. If you happen to see some of this type of samosas sold, be sure to have some! :-)
Blue Rice? Really?! Yes, really. This is Nasi Kerabu Kelantan, and those from the East Coast of Peninsular Malaysia would know this food. Actually, I got it mixed up - thinking it was Nasi Dagang. But then, someone (including my dad) corrected me. Thank you!!

It's a very tasty blue rice, served with some side dishes of salted egg, deliciously stuffed green chili (i think it's fish + coconut cream stuffing, very very tasty), salad (shredded cabbage, bean sprouts and herbs), fried fish (fried with some flour), thinly sliced beef and green coconut sambal.

I thought it was rather dry - I like curries or soups, so when this does not come with either one I felt weird...but that thought quickly went away the moment I tasted this dish. Lovely, different, but very tasty and, felt like I could eat more! I'm glad they have it here in Penang as I rarely see it here. Even IKEA has it man!
Now this is the ultimate everybody's favourite, come day or nite... AYAM PERCIK! Ayam Percik is basically barbequed chicken on charcoal fire, and constantly brushed with a lemongrass stick dipped in its marinade to keep it juicy... It is not spicy, but it is definitely very flavourful and delicious. It's aroma is intensifying to the nerves...in an extremely good way. It makes you hungry even if you just ate. It can be eaten dry, or with some savoury peanut sauce, whichever you prefer. My mum made this using turkey - usually for Hari Raya, and it is awsome!

I'm really looking forward to what mum's going to be cooking for raya in 2 weeks to come! :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your foodie comment.