Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Malay Delicacies for Breaking Fast Today

I must say, my parents went to buy so many type of kuih (delicacies) today. I got excited so see my favourites.
Frm 12 o'clock: Potato samosas, Cucur Badak (stuffed potato with savoury fried coconut), and Cucur Keria (Malay donuts made from potatoes n sugar coated).
The green "spring roll" is oh my goodness. I forgot the name! arghh!! The white & brown one is called "Kuih Talam Gula Merah" (Steamed Coconut Pudding with Palm Sugar) - Sounds delicious already? Mmmmhhh!. The white part tastes of sweet coconut cream and the brown is the colour of palm sugar. :-)This is my favourite delicacy - Kuih Lapis (layered cake) because I just love to slowly but carefully peek the white and pink layers, and eat them layer by layer. Unless when I'm hungry like a ghost :-P
Ahh, my favourite - roti jala (lace pancakes) with chicken curry. This is a MUST try Malaysian food.
Bean Curd in syrup. Very good to cool down with this. I think i'm going to have some now! They're sold almost everywhere now - back then, I think it is mainly sold by the Chinese long time ago and now, Malays have learned to make them and, taste as good too. :-)
Cempedak goreng (fried jack fruits in flour batter) - A Malaysian loved snack especially in the evenings, but I don't like jackfruit so I dont fancy this... But many people do love this!
Know what JLo and this green dessert have in common? Their name. This is Kuih Lopeh aka Lopez. So now you know why. I love this kuih as well, which is pandan flavoured and with sprinkles of shredded coconut, and served with melted palm sugar. Mmmmppph!

Hope some of you get some smiles looking at these yummy pictures which I took earlier from dinner! :-)

5 comments:

  1. i just tried making roti jala two nights ago. didn't work. i didn't have that thingy with the holes so i poked a plastic botol, but the holes were too big so everything just poured out!! hahaha. ah well. in the end macam makan pancake ngan kari. kahkahkah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just tried making roti jala two nights ago. didn't work. i didn't have that thingy with the holes so i poked a plastic botol, but the holes were too big so everything just poured out!! hahaha. ah well. in the end macam makan pancake ngan kari. kahkahkah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor girl! So that's what you've been doing... Gimme ur address and I'll surprise you with the "tool" for that purrfect Jala!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the 'green spring roll' is called ketayap ;p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the 'green spring roll' is called ketayap ;p

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your foodie comment.