Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Savoury Macaroni

As Italians loves Pasta, so do we Malaysians. We have created pasta dishes that would make you puzzled but if you like the different tastes of Asian food such as fried noodles, tom yum, laksa and more - chances are, you will love this Fried Macaroni - it's the Malaysian style of eating pasta. I have not come across anyone who does not like this!

I guess this dish originated from the fact that we love those oily fried, spicy food. Then we assume that pasta is just like our local yellow noodles. And rather than pouring the sauce on top of boiled macaroni, we have to pour the macaroni in the sauce, and fry, fry, fry away. See the style now?

Ingredients are very simple. I know of some who does not like vegetables so they cook the macaroni with minced meat only. But I am one of those who loves the little crunchy surprise that I can get from some mixed vegetables.

Overall, my style of cooking this fried macaroni may differ each time I cook, depending on what ingredients I have. So long as the key ingredients are there (pasta, tomato sauce, minced meat, vege), I'm happy to say that my fried macaroni is on the way! :-)

:: Recipe ::
2 cups Macaroni, boiled & drained (alternatively, I use Penne or any other short pasta)
1 can of Heinz Tomato Soup or plain Pasta sauce
1/2 cup frozen mixed vege
1 cup chopped fresh coriander/celery
1 large green onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped (optional, I just love fresh tomatoes)
some minced beef or chicken meat
1-2 tablespoon chili boh (chili paste)
a few dashes of McCormick's Italian Seasoning
1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
Olive oil for cooking
salt & pepper to taste

1. Heat up the pan with some olive oil - don't worry how much because olive oil is okay.. fry the onions and garlic. Add the chili boh (paste) and stir.
2. Throw in minced meat, sprinkle salt & pepper, and add in a few dash of the Italian seasoning (dried herbs). Stir until meat turns brown.
3. Pour in tomato soup or pasta sauce, add in the chopped tomatoes and mixed vege. Stir fry for 2 minutes and add in the fresh herbs. Add in the parmesan cheese too.
4. Does it taste good yet? Add in more sauce/pepper/salt/chili as you like and finally right before you add in the macaroni, turn off the heat & pour in the macaroni and stir to combine the sauce and pasta.
5. Pour in large plate to be shared by all! :-)

Sounds quick, simple and delicious? Yeah! How do you cook your fried macaroni?

1 comment:

  1. yes, I treat pasta like our local noodles, so I interchange them in my cooking frequently!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your foodie comment.