Friday, August 15, 2008

Thai Green Curry Chicken

If I were to make Thai green curry from scratch, I'd end up making something like blended vegetable with herbs.. And freak my mum out in the kitchen, saying "Haiyaa what is that green thing?!". My dad would think "Aiyooo, my daughter is getting married and yet she cooks nonsense..". Yeah, pretty much that would be their thoughts.

So, desperately craving for some Thai green curry, I purchase a tub of this "Heritage" brand curry paste. I know Mae Pranom is very famous for many of its products especially the curry pastes, but I think Heritage is not too bad either.
Ingredients are very simple, and you can get creative with green curries. Favourite fresh ingredients to add: Eggplant, carrots, green peas, snap peas, long beans, etc. For meat, as you wish, from fresh small chunks of chicken, beef, fishballs, etc.

For me, adding fresh basil or coriander is important, it awakens the curry of otherwise seems dull. And fresh spicy chili to make it really Thai... it's all about the spice!

:: Ingredients ::
Chicken cutlets (about 1 whole chicken for 1 tub of curry paste)
1 tub Thai green curry paste
1 can coconut milk
1-2 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
fresh kaffir lime leave (about 5 medium ones)
fresh basil leaves (a handful - I used coriander instead as I did not have basil)
1 large carrot, cut to small pieces
1 eggplant, cut to small pieces
1 can green peas
1 large green onion, quartered
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 large green chili, cut to smaller pieces (or a few birds eye chili-pounded, or red chilis. Leave this out if you don't want it spicy, as the curry paste may already be spicy)

1. Clean the chicken pieces, and set aside. Open and arrange the cans of coconut milk and green peas so it's easy for you to cook.
2. Heat up a large pot with some cooking oil and fry the onions ans garlic. Pour in the curry paste and stir until it heats up and smells delicious... Yumm...
3. Throw in the chicken and cover with lid for 5-10mins to let chicken cook.
4. Add coconut milk and sugar, and stir. Then throw in the carrots, peas, lime leaves and eggplant. Let it cook for another 5mins. Oh, and throw in the chilis here if you want them.
5. Add in fish sauce as you like - it may already taste salty, so have a taste before you add the fish sauce or end up getting it too salty.. (I don't really like too salty..)
6. Stir a little, and by now you probably can't wait to slurp the entire pot all by yourself. I know I would be tempted to do so...
I would usually have this with rice, or bread sometimes. And I do love the way green curry tastes!

5 comments:

  1. is easy and fast way to cook... but the paste and just put everything n the pot and cook ,,, then we are done..

    for us.. same too,, we only eat.. no cook..

    ReplyDelete
  2. your green curry looks yummy! i love green curry too but have not been brave enough to try making it from scratch. so your suggestion to use this ready made paste is a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can this be nonsense? It looks very delicious. Makes a perfect wife.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't tried this brand, looks super authentic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hai Mas, for green curry I selalu beli the ready made paste je.. yours look so yummy.

    eh Mas, come join my Yahoo Baking Project group. More details at my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your foodie comment.