Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Turmeric Chicken with Ginger

This delish chicken recipe will make your taste buds hungry for more. It is not the usual fried turmeric (masak kunyit) that we Malaysians are used to. See the recipe and you'll know what I mean as it involves more ingredients.

This is one of the first dish I learned to cook a long long time ago, and kept the recipe because it's worth it. It is adapted from an Australian food magazine, "Super Food Ideas" quite some time ago. Are they still around? I wonder. Send me a couple of the new mags! :-P

What's nice about this dish is the lemony-gingery taste complimenting the tender, turmeric chicken pieces. And I love it with red hot chilis... MMmm... I've been using a lot of green chilis, so this time around, red is IN! Not that green chilis won't work for this recipe...

The recipe I stated below is a modified version of the original recipe from the magazine I mentioned. Nevertheless, it's a success, food tasting approved by husband who is an absolute chicken lover :-)

:: Turmeric Chicken with Ginger Recipe ::
Serves 4

2 tablespoon oil
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
8 small mixed chicken pieces
1 tablespoon ground turmeric
1/2 cup chicken stock (or 1/2 cup water plus 1 tablespoon chicken stock granules)
1 tablespoon lemon juice (or more)
2cm piece fresh ginger, grated
1 large red chili, sliced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
pinch of salt

Heat oil in a large frying pan. Saute the onions and garlic until onion is tender. Transfer to a plate.

Dust the chicken pieces in turmeric powder and cook in the same pan until golden both sides, adding a little more oil of required.

Pour stock over chicken with remaining ingredients and onions. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until chicken is tender.

Garnish with coriander leaves or chives. Serve warm with rice and pappadums and cucumber salad.

12 comments:

  1. The tumeric chicken look really deliciuos.....wonderful blog with a great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look of this!....Mmmm yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so easy. I will try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JC - tastes good as it looks :-) do try it someday!

    Jan - thanks! :-)

    tigerfish - it is quite easy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new blog layout! A fresh look for 2010 yeah? Will bookmark this delish recipe until the day when my little tot can eat chili, I will surely cook it for my family. Nice shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Food For Tots - thanks! you can omit the chilis for your little ones :-) It's not that spicy, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been seeing a lot of chicken recipes lately. This is exactly what I need since my parents to come over this weekend and they prefer chicken than pork.
    small home plans

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!

    I'm finally getting around to making this yummy looking dish, and I was wondering if you thought a kilo of chicken thighs would be too much for this recipe.

    Any help you can provide would be great. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amanda,
    Just double up on the ingredients. As the chicken and the gravy is initially cooked sepaately, it would be easier to adjut if the gravy is too little. And if it is too dry, add some chicken stock :-) Hope this helps!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your help!

    I'm glad I doubled the recipe, as it was absolutely delicious! Quickest meal I've made in ages, and Hubby really loved it. Definitely a keeper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amamda, that is good, glad you liked it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, looks wonderful. I am trying to get more turmeric into my diet.. and this is exactly what i am looking for. I wonder if i can add fish sauce and how much should I use if it is okay? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your foodie comment.