Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Turmeric Beef with Long Beans

One of my favourite after work dish is this stir fried marinated beef strips with turmeric, and added with some crunchy greens. It is easy to prepare, so making home cooking after work more approachable..

I normally cook this with chicken, rarely beef. Well, sometimes going out of the norm is good... For stir fry beef, it is best to buy those thinly sliced beef strips, if not made at home. I normally buy mine in Tesco or Cold Storage, and just put it in the freezer until I need them.

As for greens, I choose long beans (kacang panjang) this time. It looked too fresh, too good not to grab some at the fresh market last Sunday... Some stories about this long bean.. hmm, I heard from a bunch (make that a big bunch of ladies) that long beans are beragin ('windy') and they do not eat them, even when some of them loves it. I can never understand that 'theory' of theirs, because my mum always cook long beans at home, and even when I do eat them in restaurants, I never find my body to mbe 'windy' or even bloated. Not even the next day or the next week. Not after a year still.. Anyways.

Long beans are green, crunchy and delicious. Perfect for stir-frys. It really goes well with turmeric and onions... yummy!

:: Turmeric Beef with Long Beans ::
300gm beef strips
1 cup long beans, cut into 1 inch lengths
2 sprigs fresh spring onions cut to 1 inch lengths
2-3 bird's eye chili (or any other chili as you like)
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon Mae Pranom Thai chili paste
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon oyster sauce

Marinate the beef with turmeric powder, fish sauce, oyster sauce and thai chili paste. Put aside.

Fry onion and garlic until soften. Throw in the marinated beed, and fry until cooked or the water dries out. Add long beans, chili and fry until green beans slightly soften, and add the spring onions. Dish out and serve with plain or fried rice.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I am starting to train myself to eat more veggies. This can definitely can help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been using turmeric more often than last time. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison - thanks!
    Baby cribs - am glad you like it and thanks for visiting!
    Tigerfish - Same here, I finally know that turmeric does wonders to cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pics! I love eating veggies. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your foodie comment.