Friday, December 25, 2009

Masala Chai (Tea)

My friend makes delicious masala chai I've ever had. I never knew what the ingredients were, and thought that the tea is spicially blended and I simply had no idea where to buy them. So on one of the occassion that I was in her house, and while helping her out in the kitchen, did I learn how very simply it is to make masala chai.

Masala chai (Chai, which simply also means Masala tea) is a special brew of black tea with a mix of Indian spices, an India originated hot drink. The taste you get is an aromatic milk tea - the blend of spices such as cardamon, cinnamon and pepper - literally spices up the tea!There are various ways to make chai, I for now am going with the simplest version as a start. Simple yet tastes the same as the one my friend made for me :-) All you need is some black tea bags, milk, some brown sugar, and cardamons...

:: Chai Recipe ::
Serves 2

2 tea bags
1 cup water
1 cup milk
2 teaspoon brown sugar
5 cardamon pods, peeled

Boil water, cardamon, teabags until aromatic. Add sugar and milk, let simmer for a few moment. Turn the heat off, strain the teabags and cardamons, and pour into 2 mugs or tea cups. Enjoy warm chai with your favourite biscuits or ckes :-)

Note:
Ingredients are appropriations only, you may adjust tea/milk/spices according to your taste.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,
    I absolutely LOVE masala chai too although my brew is very strong as I've put in heaps of spices and old ginger to boost the flavour. If you have a moment, you can check out my masala chai at http://www.foodsze.com/2010/02/masala-chai.html
    Love your blog and especially the photos!!
    Foodsze

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your foodie comment.