Sunday, November 15, 2009

Tab Tim Grob (Rubies in Coconut Milk)

The first time I had tab tim grob was about 3 years ago. Back then, it was at a Thai restaurant. They served this dessert in a small (really small) bowl, with a few thinly sliced nangka (jack fruit).

The special thing about tab tim grob is it's bright ruby colour - that resembles just like rubies. It is made from water chestnuts - hence once you eat it, it is lightly chewy on the outside, but light and crunchy inside. Then mixed with the sweetened coconut milk and ice - is a taste you will just melt with in the hot hot summer weather.

I didn't know what the dessert was made of initially, but now I know. I bought a small bag of water chestnuts and used some for making wantan last week. Such a waste it will be if I don't use the rest.. and suddenly tab tim grob came to my mind! I made some research on how to make it. Since this is my first time making this, it was a bit tedious for me. I had to learn step by step from scratch but it turned out to be really simple. Even a little kiddo can help you along the way!
:: Tab Tim Grob (Rubies in Coconut Milk) Recipe ::
Serves 2

8 pieces fresh water chestnuts
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/3 cup sugar
few drops red food coloring
1/3 cup coconut milk (I used low fat)
pinch of salt
ice cubes, for serving
Before anything, trim off the water chestnut skin and clean the w.chestnuts. Cut them to cmall cubes, about less than 1cm cubes.

In a separate bowl, place the red colouring drops and add 2 tablespoon of water. Pour the w.chestnut cubes in and mix well. You can also make some in greens or whatever colour you wish. A healthier choice would be to use beet juice or other natural colouring. Strain the water away. Now you have rubies.

In another separate bowl, pour the tapioca flour and throw in the 'rubies'. Using your fingers, gently coat each of the rubies with a light layer of flour, dust off any excess flour before you cook them in a pot of boiling water. Place the tapioca flour coated rubies, one by one, into the boiling water (on low heat). The rubies will float once it is cooked (about 2-3 minutes) and scoop them up and put in a bowl of ice water until ready for serving.

Make sugar syrup by heating up sugar in some water. Let cool.
In a small serving bowl or glass, place 1/2 cup coconut milk, add a pinch of salt and about 1 tablespoon of sugar syrup. Pour in about 3 heaped tablespoon of the cooked rubies, and place some ice cubes (or shaved ice) and serve immediately. Best for desserts anytime of the day.

8 comments:

  1. I've always wondered how these are made. Thanks for the recipe! I would love to try this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. tracieMoo - glad that you found this post useful :-) happy making tab tim grob! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not had this dessert for a while now - the Thai restaurants in the Bay Area don't carry this on their menus. Thanks for the post - it reminds me of this dessert and I must make some soon! The red is so festive; I think it'll add a special flair to our holiday celebration here. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try this, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan - thanks :-)

    Seeker of the Higher Calling in life - glad you came accross my post :-) Happy making the dessert!

    Post Modern Jen - ure most welcome! am glad i shared this post with all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this recipe and photos look exactly like what I've seen and bookmarked on shesimmers.com http://www.shesimmers.com/2009/09/tab-tim-grob-faux-pomegranate-seeds.html

    Your recipe must be really authentic. Can't wait to try.

    ~Rick

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rick,

    thanks, yes it looks similar :-)
    hers is much nicer... and it is very simple to make, hope you enjoy making it, and do tell me about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your foodie comment.